Education. Faculty of Physics, Moscow State University (1977)
Academic degree, year, organization. PhD, 2003, IPE RAS.
Labor activity. Since 1977 – the Geophysical Center RAS (modern name), from junior to chief scientist, since 2009 – chief scientist at the IEPT RAS.
- Statistics of power-law distributions in relation to problems of seismic hazard, damage values, distributions of oil and gas and ore field reserves.
- Physics of the seismic process, mechanisms of occurrence of earthquakes at different depths, statistics of seismicity characteristics.
- Analysis of precursors, construction and analysis of a generalized neighborhood of a strong earthquake; approaches to physically based seismic prediction.
- Deep fluid regime in relation to the problems of seismogenesis, ore genesis and the emergence of hydrocarbon deposits.
- Paleoseismology, estimation of PGVs from ancient earthquakes from field data (author’s method). Assessment of long-term seismic hazard.
- Data analysis algorithms
Teaching activities and scientific guidance (if available) – a few lectures at special courses of the Physics Department of Moscow State University.
Participation in projects of the Russian Science Foundation, RFBR. Since 2012 – 8 projects of the RFBR (4 of them – leader), previously information was lost.
Web of Science Researcher ID T-6944-2017
SCOPUS ID 6603856521
E-library RSCI ID: 60304
Author of more than 200 publications in almost all Russian specialized in geology and geophysics peer-reviewed scientific and popular science journals, as well as in a number of international journals: Pure and Applied Geophysics; J. Geodynamics; J. Earthquake Prediction Research; Phys. Chem. earth; Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences; Natural Hazards; Advances in Geosciences; Tectonophysics, Earth Planets Space, Wissenschaftler und Verantwortung; Geography of the Anthropocene; Pure and Appl. Geophysics, Vietnam J. of Earth Sciences; Survey in Geophysics (GEOP), also co-author of a few collective monographs.
- Rodkin M.V. When the Earth’s firmament breaks (on physics and earthquake prediction). Intellect Publishing House, Dolgoprudny, 2019, 111 pp. (In Russian)
- Rodkin M.V., D.V. Rundqvist. Geofluid dynamics. Application to seismology, tectonics, processes of ore and oil genesis. Intellect Publishing House, Dolgoprudny, 2017, 288 pp. (In Russian)
- Rodkin M.V. Catastrophes and civilizations (the problem of the survival of civilizations through the eyes of a physicist). Intellect Publishing House, Dolgoprudny, 2016, 232 pp. (In Russian)
- Pisarenko V., Rodkin M. Statistical Analysis of Natural Disasters and Related Losses. Springer Briefs in Earth Sciences. Springer, Dordrecht-Heidelberg-London-New York, 2014, 82 pp. ISBN: 978-3-319-01453-1 (Print) 978-3-319-01454-8 (Online)
- Pisarenko V., Rodkin M. Heavy-Tailed Distributions in Disaster Analysis. Advances in Natural and Technological Hazards Research, Volume 30, Springer, Dordrecht-Heidelberg-London-New York, 2010. DOI: 10.1007/978-90-481-9171-0
- Rodkin M.V., Nikitin A.N., Vasin R.N. Seismotectonic effects of solid-phase transformations in geomaterials. GEOS, Moscow, 2009, 198 pp. (In Russian)
- Pisarenko V.F., Rodkin M.V. Heavy-tailed distributions: applications to disaster analysis. Computational seismology, Issue 38, GEOS, Moscow, 2007, 240 p. (In Russian)
- Rodkin M.V. The role of the deep fluid regime in geodynamics and seismotectonics. Nats. Geof. Kom., Moscow, 1993, 194 pp. (In Russian)
- Kalinin V.A., Rodkin M.V., Tomashevskaya I.S. Geodynamic effects of physical and chemical transformations in a solid medium. Nauka, Moscow, 1989, 158 pp. (In Russian)
Main publications for the last 5 years
- Rodkin M.V. When the earth’s firmament breaks (on physics and earthquake prediction). Intellect Publishing House, Dolgoprudny, 2019, 111 pp. (In Russian)
- Rodkin M.V., D.V. Rundqvist. Geofluid dynamics. Application to seismology, tectonics, processes of ore and oil genesis. Intellect Publishing House, Dolgoprudny, 2017, 288 p. (In Russian)
- Nikolaeva S.N., M.V. Rodkin, S.V. Shvarev. Late Glacial and postglacial seismicity in the Northeastern Fennoscandian Shield: tectonic position and age of paleo-earthquakes near Murmansk. Advance online publication of the Bulletin of the Geological Society of Finland, 2021, 41–60.
- Rodkin M.V., Zharikov A.V. (2021) Permeability of the Continental Crust – Possible High Values from Laboratory Measurements and Seismological Data. In: Svalova V. (eds) Heat-Mass Transfer and Geodynamics of the Lithosphere. Innovation and Discovery in Russian Science and Engineering. Springer. 481–498, Cham. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-63571-8_29.
- Rodkin M.V. Earthquake Prediction: Old Expectations and New Results. Seismic Instruments, 2021, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 438–445.
- Rodkin M.V., Ngo Thi Lu, Punanova S.A. Correlation of trace element composition of oils and other caustobiolites with chemical content of different types of biota and the Upper, Middle and the Lower Earth’s Crust. Vietnam Journal of Earth Sciences, 2021, 43(1), 23–31. DOI: 10.15625/0866-7187/15573.
- Pisarenko, V.F., A.A. Lyubushin, and M.V. Rodkin. Maximum earthquakes in future time intervals. Physics of the Earth, 2021, 2, 27–45.
- Rodkin M.V., Andreeva M.Yu., Grigorieva O.O. Analysis of the generalized neighborhood of a strong earthquake based on regional data, the Kuril-Kamchatka region. Volcanology and seismology, 2020, no. 6, 67–77.
- Nikitina M.A., M.V. Rodkin, I.G. Shmakov. The connection of the seismicity of the subduction zone in Alaska with metamorphism and the deep fluid regimes. Physics of the Earth. Physics of the Solid Earth, 2020, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 892–899.
- Ivankina T.I., I.Yu. Zel, M. Petruzalek, M.V. Rodkin, M.A. Matveev, T. Lokajicek. Elastic anisotropy, permeability, and freeze-thaw cycling of rapakivi granite. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 2020, 136, 104541.
- Punanova S.A., M.V. Rodkin, T.A. Rukavishnikov. Genetic features of the microelement composition of naphthides based on correlation analysis. Exposition Oil and Gas, 2020, no. 4. pp. 30–34. DOI:10.24411/2076-6785-2020-10091.
- Rodkin M.V., Andreeva M.Yu., Grigorieva O.O. Analysis of the generalized neighborhood of a strong earthquake based on regional data, the Kuril-Kamchatka region. Volcanology and seismology, 2020, no. 6, pp. 67–77.
- Rodkin, M.V. Dependence of Losses from Natural Hazards on the Prosperity of Societies: A Brief Review. Journal of Anthropological and Archaeological Sciences. 1, 5, 134–137.
- Pisarenko V.F., M.V. Rodkin, T.A. Rukavishnikova. Stable modification of the law of earthquake recurrence and prospects for its application in seismic zoning. Physics of the Earth, 2020, no. 1, 62–76.
- Pisarenko V., Rodkin M. A Collection of Statistical Methods for Analysis of the Disaster Damages and the Seismic Regime. Geographies of the Anthropocene, vol. 2, no. 2 (2019), pp. 43–63.
- Pisarenko V.F., M.V. Rodkin. Statistics and spatial-temporal structure of ground acceleration caused by earthquakes in the North-Western Pacific region. Pure Apple Geophys. Pure Apple. Geophys. 2020, 177, 6, 2563–2578. ISSN: 0033-4553eISSN: 1420-9136.
- Rodkin M.V. Typical fore- and aftershock anomaly – empiricism, interpretation. Volcanology and seismology. 2020, 1, 64–76.
- Pisarenko V.F., M.V. Rodkin, T.A. Rukavishnikova. Stable modification of the law of earthquake recurrence and prospects for its application in seismic zoning. Physics of the Earth, 2020, no. 1, 1–14.
- Punanova S.A., M.V. Rodkin. Comparison of the contribution of geological processes at different depths to the formation of the microelement appearance of caustobioliths. Georesources, 2019, 21, 3, 14–24. DOI: 10.18599/grs.2019.3.14-24.
- Punanova S.A., Rodkin M.V. On the trace element composition of oils from the Romashkino group of fields. Geology, geophysics and development of oil and gas fields. 8(332), 2019, 75–80.
- Rodkin M.V. On the statistical regularities of the concentration of metals in hydrocarbons and ore deposits. Exposure. Oil. Gas. 2019, 3(70), 18–22. DOI: 10.24411/2076-6785-2019-10028.
- Kaftan V.I., Rodkin M.V. Deformations of the Mount Etna area according to GPS measurements, interpretation, connection with the volcanic regime. Volcanology and seismology, 2019, no. 1, pp. 12–22.
- Rodkin M.V., and A.M. Korzhenkov, Estimation of maximum mass velocity from macroseismic data: A new method and application to archeoseismological data. Geodesy and Geodynamics, 2019, 10, 321–330. DOI: 10.1016/j.geog.2018.06.01024.
- Shvarev S.V., A.A. Nikonov, M.V. Rodkin, A.V. Poleshcshuk. The active tectonics of the Vuoksi Fault Zone in the Karelian Isthmus: parameters of paleoearthquakes estimated from bedrock and softsediment deformation features. Advance online publication of the INQUA special issue of the Bulletin of the Geological Society of Finland. 2018, 89–105.
- Vu Thi Hoan, Ngo Thi Lu, Rodkin M.V., Nguyen Quang, Phan Thien Huong, Seismic activity characteristics in the East Sea area. Vietnam Journal of Earth Sciences, 2018, 40, 3: 240–252. DOI:10.15625/0866-7187/40/3/12616.
- Mirlin E.G., Mironov Yu.V., Rodkin M.V., Chesalova E.I. Intraplate seamounts of the northwestern sector of the Pacific Ocean. Oceanology, 2018, 58, 2, 307–315. DOI: 10.7868/S0030157418020144.
- Nikolaeva S.B., Nikonov A.A., Shvarev S.V., Rodkin M.V. Detailed paleoseismogeological studies in the marginal zone of the basin of the lake. Imandra (Kola region): new approaches and results. Geology and geophysics, 2018, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 866–880. DOI: 10.15372/GiG20180608.
- Punanova S.A., Rodkin M.V. The ratio of biogenic and deep processes according to the analysis of the trace element composition of oils. Exposition Oil and gas, 2018, no. 6 (66), pp. 38–42.
- Sherman S.I., Rodkin M.V., Gorbunova E.A. Tectonophysical analysis of types of graphs of recurrence of catastrophic earthquakes in Central Asia. Volcanology and seismology, 2017, no. 6, pp. 47–60.
- F. Pisarenko, M.V. Rodkin, and T.A. Rukavishnikova. Estimation of the probability of rare extreme events for the case of small samples, methodology and examples of earthquake catalog analysis. Physics of the Earth, 2017, no. 6, pp. 3–17.
- Levin B.I., M.V. Rodkin, E.V. Sasorova. On the impact of the Earth’s rotation on the subduction process. Reports of the Academy of Sciences, 2017, vol. 476, no. 3, p. 343–346.
- Ngo Thi Ly, Rodkin M.V., Tran Viet Phuong, Phung Thi Thu Hang and Nguyen Quang Seismic hazard assessment of the northwest of Vietnam from the complex of geological and geophysical data using the original software package. Volcanology and seismology, 2017, no. 2, pp. 68–76.
- Andreeva M.Yu., Rodkin M.V. On the seismotectonic setting on the oceanic side of deep-sea trenches. Pacific Geology, 2017, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 13–20. WoS
- Vu Thi Hoan, Ngo Thi Lu, Mikhail Rodkin, Nguyen Huu Tuyen, Phung Thi Thu Hang, Tran Viet Phuong. Prediction of maximum earthquake magnitude for Northern Vietnam region based on GEV distribution. Vietnam J. of Earth Sciences, 2017, 38(4), 339–344.
- Rodkin M.V., V.I. Kaftan. Post-seismic relaxation from geodetic and seismic data. Geodesy and Geodynamics, 2017, 8, 13–16.
- Pisarenko V.F., M.V. Rodkin. The Estimation of Probability of Extreme Events for Small Samples. Pure Apple. Geophys., 2017, 174, 4, 1547–1560. DOI: 10.1007/s00024-017-1495-0.
Participation in the editorial boards of journals: “Vietnam J. of Earth Sciences”, “Volcanology and Seismology”, “Earth and the Universe”, “Nature”, “Geosystems of Transition Zones”.
Participation in dissertation, academic, scientific councils: Discussion Council of the IDG RAS, D 002.050.01; Discussion Council of IMGG FEB RAS, IKIR FEB RAS, IV&S FEB RAS, D999.004.03; Expert in the scientific and technical sphere of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation.
- Medal of Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology (2017)
- Silver medal “For outstanding results in the field of geosciences and dignity”, named after corresponding member RAS S.N. Ivanov (2020).
- Medal “In memory of the 850th anniversary of Moscow”
Also, a set of honorary and other diplomas.
HIRSH 25 (according to the RSCI)
HIRSH 15 (according to the RSCI core list)